Saturday, June 15, 2013

Read and Response #1


Neil Postman: Technolopy

Chapter 1:The Judgement of Thamus
The first "quote" that popped out at me was this one:
“our task is to understand what that design is—that is to say, when we admit a new technology to the culture, we must do so with our eyes wide open” (p. 7, bottom) That, once a technology is admitted, it plays out its hand. Whether positive or negative, it will do something!

I had never realized the story behind the clock before, but was saddened by the way a "tool" can be used for the opposite of its intent.
“The paradox, the surprise, and the wonder are that the clock was invented by men who wanted to devote themselves more  rigorously to God; it ended as the technology  of greatest use to men who wished to devote themselves to the accumulation of money. In the eternal struggle God and Mammon, the clock quite  unpredictably followed the later" (p. 15, top). It reminded me of how the curse of sin affects all of creation--even the "creations" that have not yet come to be. It reminded me of the tower of Babel--the idea of building something great may have been good--but the focus of worship changed. Instead of being God-centred in their lives, the switch to me-centered happened, and God had to confuse them. The other sad thing is, I don't feel he is over-reacting. I also agree with his line: “A new technology does not add or subtract something. It changes everything” (p. 18). This was related to his example about the taking away of caterpillars—it would changed the ecosystem completely.
photo from google images
Again, when the author pointed out the viewpoint of the preacher and the politician, I cannot help but think maybe we didn't learn from the Babel story. . .or the clock story. . .or many other stories/experiences that seem to keep changing our focus away from God, when he designed us to be  in relationship with Him. "A preacher who confines himself to consider how a medium can increase his audience will miss the significant question: In what sense do new media alter what is meant by religion, church , even by God?. . .and to the concept of citizenship?" (p. 19)

One question he voiced that I have often wondered was: “Will the computer raise egocentrism to the status of a virtue?” (p. 17) Now that I can do most things on my own, am I going to loose the value of community. . .and haven't we already to a large degree.

Yet on the flip side, I think there is a way these tools can be used to keep our focus on God. I know I use the computer for devotionals for myself and for the children I teach. I use youtube for praise songs or pictures of God's wonders. But that is because I am looking for it. I'm setting my focus on it--the same way the monks were--they were trying to keep their focus on God.

 

Chapter 2: From Tools to Technocracy

“Marx understood well that, apart from their economic implications, technologies create the ways in which people perceive reality and that such ways are key to understanding diverse forms of social and mental life “ ( p.21)

Chapter two seems to seems to show a bit of a contrast from the negativity in Chapter 1. Postman points out how many "Great thinkers" chose not to let their tools and discoveries interfere with their belief in God or the institution of the church of that day. Everything they did was designed around that, and so were their research and projects.
“Tools did not prevent people from believing in their traditions. In their God, in their politics, in their methods of education, or in the legitimacy of their social organizations. Their beliefs in fact directed the invention of tools and limited the uses to which they were put. . . spiritual ideas and social customs  acted as controlling forces” (p. 23).

“Theology, not technology, provided people with authorization for what to do or think” (p. 26)

“Moreover, the science they created was almost wholly concerned with  questions of truth, not power” (p. 35) All inventors, scientists, clung to the theology of their age—they didn’t compromise their belief about God because of what they researched or because of the tools they used. They allowed their discoveries to add to what they knew about God. Postman then pointed out Francis Bacon, whose main aim was the happiness of mankind. (p. 35) It seems that is where the contrast began, the shift was set in motion. Is that what tools and technology is doing today: pursuing only human happiness? Only we are still not happy? Tools don't provide happiness, only God can.

To repeat the words of a song I sing often with my grade one students (who at this point still get where true joy and happiness come from--when they are singing the song): "I've God the joy, joy, joy, joy, down in my heart. . .I've got the love of Jesus in my heart. And I'm so happy. . ."
By contrast: I wonder if we often sing: "I've got an iPad, Smartphone, iPod, laptop all of my own. . .I've got the latest technology in my hands. . .but I'm not happy, so very unhappy. . .

Burning Question: What about technology makes you feel happy at your school? What about technology makes you feel discouraged?

3 comments:

  1. I used to see technology as something that invaded the classroom and took up time, but now I really appreciate the ability that my 5th grade students have to produce their creative writing, reports, and other projects on the laptops. Editing and grading is sooo much easier and the writing of the students has risen to a higher level. I also love the Smart Board for teaching math, showing video clips, and especially for sharing contemporary Christian music youtube with my students.
    I get discouraged with the amount of time that I have to put in to keep up with all the technology. I don't really like to sit by my computer and I find that I have to do that more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I love the questions your post raises. There is so much that just goes unspoken about the way we use technology in schools! (Both good and bad...)

    One thing that makes me feel happy about technology at Dordt College is the classroom I got to teach EDUC 101 in last Spring. It had large tables that could seat 8 students each, with a 42" flatscreen attached at the end of the table, so students could easily connect their laptops or iPads or whatever and display them for the group. There were also two video screens at either end of the room (there really wasn't a "front" to this classroom), and I could control all of these screens independently of each other. So when I had students collaborating around tables, they could easily share with the whole class-I would just send what was on their table screen to all of the screens in the room! The room also came with a document camera and a Blu-ray player (though I didn't use this much). Lots of great tech tools packed into that room!

    The really interesting thing for me was that the very low-tech feature of students sitting around tables, facing each other seemed to be the most useful technology in the room. They came in and sat down and immediately began having conversations--usually about course-related topics! I almost felt as if I was interrupting if I tried to lecture in that space. :-) I used the technology to my advantage, and just posted some talking points on their table screens to facilitate the opening conversation each day.

    One thing that makes me discouraged about technology is when teachers automatically dismiss it irrelevant to their teaching. I would NEVER advocate that each lesson to be taught should be technologically enhanced (Technopoly, anyone?), but I do think teaching in the 21st Century means a level of tech-savvy is valuable, and perhaps even necessary.

    My 2¢...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of the tables of 8 around technology--using it to their advantage, yet not hiding away from the connectedness that often accompanies computers and laptops in a classroom!

      Our school tried one of those online meeting rooms--where a "discussion group" could post ideas and they pop up as bubbles for everyone to see. Then we went on to use it at a Society meeting. While it was "neat," nothing seemed to come out of it--and in the end, the discussion that was had at our tables seemed to have little purpose. I think it gave people more confidence to say something because we were in smaller groups than if someone were to say something in front of a large meeting like that, but the meaning and purpose of the discussion seemed to be lost as their voices were not "heard" by all. Like you said, the 21st century means a level of tech-savvy is valuable, but I think some better planning needs to go into something like that to sustain value. . .

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a thought!